Are you awarded points for skills assessment (ACS -RPL)?

millholl

I received an invite to apply for 189 Visa yesterday and I'm now a little worried about something.

During the EOI I'm pretty sure I was awarded 10 points for including my ACS skills assessment, but I also added a HND in a non-related IT subject later on. I'm not including this qualification for the purpose of claiming points as I can't get hold of the certificate (completed it in 1994) and it's not related to my occupation. I just thought I'd add it anyway. I was actually about to remove it but as I've now been invited it's locked.

If my memory serves me correct I was awarded 10 points for the skills assessment not for the qualification. I've been doing some reading over past material and I think the ACS are saying that if I pass ACS assessment via the RPL (Required Prior Learning) they see this as equivalent to and Australian Diploma.

So does this mean I get 10 points for it??

Here is how the EOI has broken down my points

Screenshot_28_04_2014_16_15.jpg

Help????????

Screenshot_28_04_2014_16_15.jpg

Normally no points for skills assessment no.

I have never heard of a skills assessment by RPL leading to ten points either, but I think that is getting a bit complex now. Unless someone comes along to categorically confirm this, I would be taking professional advice before lodging an application.

No points are given for skill assessment, but you're using it to calculate number of skilled employment years. In your case I suppose you had 5-7 years on top of the 6 years deducted by ACS as "hands-on qualification".

Update: now I have noticed the table from your post. You get the 10 points for equivalention of your diploma. You did that with other body (e.g. VETASSESS), isn't it?

Edited by ozee

Things is I did the diploma back in 1994 at an Art College that no longer exists. I can't get hold of the certificate so I won't be using it to claim any points because I can't prove it.

Your diploma at Art College will have no bearing on your ACS Skills Assessment, or the points that you can claim for experience/education.

The skills assessment does not actually gain you the points itself. Your ACS skills assessment is an aid for immigration to calculate your points based on the number of years experience ACS confirms that you have and also the standard of the qualification that you have submitted to ACS for assessment.

The email sent from ACS for your skills assessment will detail the number of years experience and the level of your qualification.

Yes, your right. I just assumed that as I was assessed via the RPL route and had to have 8 years experience that this would demonstrate I have skills and experience equivalent to an Australian Diploma. Looking like this isn't the case.

Massive bummer as this now reduces my 60 points to 50 therefore I can't apply for a visa. :(

As per your previous thread which I replied to,..unfortunately you cannot claim experience for the first 8 years of experience which was assessed as suitable by ACS. ACS did not give a skilled date until a few months ago but you still need to discount these years. On the plus side, you can claim education points even if the qualification does not relate to your occupation.

If you don't find your diploma there is another option and that is to retake IELTS. You'll get 20 points if you'll manage to obtain 8 at each of the four tests.

Keep in mind that you'll still have to do assessment of your high school diploma.

@GetMeDownUnder - My previous ACS assessment considering me 'experienced' from 06/2012. So carrying this through to today (as I have the same occupation), I would have 12 years experience. It's looking like I will have to be re-assessed by the ACS via the RPL route again. Are you saying the ACS will deduct 8 years from the 12 leaving only 4 years I can claim points for? This seems wrong and a bit harsh.

@ozee - My current skills assessment expires on 10th May 2014 so I won't have time to re-take IETLS exam :(

Your previous post showed acs had deemed your closely relatedroles from 2002 to 2010. I hhave no idea why it does not show till 2012. Assuming acs had considered your job till 2012 to be related then you would not require another assessment as you could just prove you are in the same role. If your 2 years are up since the last assessment then you would need another assessment.

8 years does sound harsh but then they take 2 years from somebody who qualified withan IT degree (eg they wworked flat out in IT for 5 years including a full degree)

ACS say.. The work experience required to meet the suitability criteria is NOT included as “Skilled Employment” and is NOT eligible for points under the skilled migration points test.. Taken from their Pdf.

Believe me, I read it through for a long time too when I was applying . Tried to find somebody who reinforced my hope but just because DIAC have final say does not mean that they will believe you. The rule has been around for months and the case officers now know the situation and you are highly unlikelyto slip through the net.

ACS and DIAC have aligned themselves and you cannot claim for it. You just risk losing your money. Everybody is in the same boat and thousands of people had to deduct years of experience. Read the expat forum threads.

http://skillselect.govspace.gov.au/2013/03/07/points-for-skilled-employment/

the relevant assessing authority provides an opinion in your*suitable skills assessment*that your employment is skilled (you must use the date that skilled employment commenced stated in your skills assessment)*

Last time I will try to help you

Edited by GetMeDownUnder

Thanks GetMeDownUnder, I appreciate your views.

I have just spotted something that has given me hope however.

If you see the snapshot of my original assessment. The ACS actually see my skilled work experience commencing in 2000. At the time they deducted 2 years.

As I've continued to be employed as a Developer Programmer up until now, that gives me 14 years experience. As you say, they will deduct 8 years leaving 6. So I can still claim:

Age = 25 points

Superior English = 20 points

Experience (5 years) = 10 points

State Nomination = 5 points

60 Points

It's a long shot but it's a chance.

acs.jpg

acs.jpg

http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/attachments/migration-issues/23998d1398290705-acs-2613-eoi-60-points-submitted-28-02-14-experience.jpg

Your other image threw me as it is different?

If correct then yes you can claim for 5 points experience. However, you will need to sit ielts before you claim via EOI. I don't know how an ACS request works second time around. Can you resubmit the same RPL etc? Something for you to check.

You really need to see if your hnd carries points. If so, you have to see if there is a way to get a copy.

Good luck

I received an invite to apply for 189 Visa yesterday and I'm now a little worried about something.

During the EOI I'm pretty sure I was awarded 10 points for including my ACS skills assessment, but I also added a HND in a non-related IT subject later on. I'm not including this qualification for the purpose of claiming points as I can't get hold of the certificate (completed it in 1994) and it's not related to my occupation. I just thought I'd add it anyway. I was actually about to remove it but as I've now been invited it's locked.

If my memory serves me correct I was awarded 10 points for the skills assessment not for the qualification. I've been doing some reading over past material and I think the ACS are saying that if I pass ACS assessment via the RPL (Required Prior Learning) they see this as equivalent to and Australian Diploma.

So does this mean I get 10 points for it??

Here is how the EOI has broken down my points

[ATTACH=CONFIG]24146[/ATTACH]

Help????????

I have read all the posts in this thread and it looks as if you are digging your own grave. Take some professional advice.

• 3 weeks later...
8 years does sound harsh but then they take 2 years from somebody who qualified withan IT degree (eg they wworked flat out in IT for 5 years including a full degree)

8 years is harsh, yes. The problem with RPL in this case though (were we have no qualifications) is that we then cannot claim any educational points - whereas someone with a full degree can.

In my case (no quals), I have to do RPL and have 8 years experience (which will then be deducted) and then another 8 years experience on top of that to claim 15 points for work experience, just so I can get the 60 points required for SkillSelect. (I already would get 25 points on age, and 20 for IELTS).

This is not 100% correct. You cannot claim educational points following ACS review, but you should submit you diploma to the correct organisation (e.g. VETASSESS). If they will validate your studies as equivalent with an Australian diploma than you can claim point for your education.

Not quite sure if this is the right thread for this question but I'll ask anyway!

If a person claims 10 points in the Educational Qualifications section under the subheading "You have attained a qualification or award recognised by the relevant assessing authority in determining your skills for your nominated occupation."

Can you also claim an additional 15 points in the same section under the subheading "You have met the requirements for award of at least a:

• bachelor degree, by an Australian educational institution; or

• bachelor qualification, awarded by an overseas educational institution of a recognised standard."?

Not quite sure if this is the right thread for this question but I'll ask anyway!

If a person claims 10 points in the Educational Qualifications section under the subheading "You have attained a qualification or award recognised by the relevant assessing authority in determining your skills for your nominated occupation."

Can you also claim an additional 15 points in the same section under the subheading "You have met the requirements for award of at least a:

• bachelor degree, by an Australian educational institution; or

• bachelor qualification, awarded by an overseas educational institution of a recognised standard."?

No, you can't do that.

If you have a bachelor degree/qual then you claim the 15 points. If you have a qual/award recognised by the authority then you claim 10 points.

It's one or the other (or neither)

No, you can't do that.

If you have a bachelor degree/qual then you claim the 15 points. If you have a qual/award recognised by the authority then you claim 10 points.

It's one or the other (or neither)

Thanks for that, I thought that was the case.

• 1 year later...